Vacation time - accruals vs allotments - The 17th Floor

Vacation time – accruals vs allotments

• Anonymous

Hello,

I’m looking for anyone that’s using Dayforce for their time tracking and has it set up on allotments/ buckets – how they call it?

We’re a BC-based company looking to have our vacation tracking/ reporting simplified. We are using Dayforce with Power Pay and have it currently set up on accruals, and allow people to use vacation as they go. Our main issue is that Balances are not taking into account what would be accrued in the future, and only show what is available as of now (ie. I have accrued 5 days by now, and am putting in a request for 10 days in 4 months – it will show a negative balance because I haven’t accrued that time yet, but it doesn’t show anywhere that I would have it accrued by the time I go away/ come back).

I’m looking for some feedback from someone who has Dayforce set up on allotments – how is it working? How does it flow into Power Pay? What information does it show as $ value of the accrual on paystubs?

Thanks in advance!

January 26, 2023 at 16:01
    • Anonymous

Hi Ewa,

I do not have much of an answer for you. I can just agree, we have the same issue. We also use DayForce and are in BC, when an employee asks if they will have enough accruals for a future date. I look at how many pay periods are left before the leave and then add up how many hours they accrue each pay period. It is not a perfect solution. Let me know if you do discover a better way!

February 1, 2023 at 13:10
        • Anonymous

Hi Caitlin, we spoke with Ceridian. Even if we switch to allotments (ie. give everyone their allotment for the entire year on day 1 of the year) we will not be able to easily see what’s actually accrued at any given point. Also, because we have only implemented Dayforce last year, we could only go back that far and would not be able to import/ see opening balances from before the implementation. The whole process for switching it over seemed very tedious, with lots of room for error.

We are in fact moving away from Dayforce and are implementing Bamboo HR as our time tracking and vacation tracking platform (we’ve already implemented them as our HR – onboarding/ offbording/ training – platform, and only seems natural to expand to time and vacation tracking as well). Just need to figure out how to make data flow between Bamboo and Power Pay, which we’re sticking with for now.

April 20, 2023 at 14:30
        • Anonymous

Hi Ewa – I happened to see that you posted this question a few weeks back. I lead a small team of Dayforce Consultants that would be available to help you with this, if you’re interested in learning more please let me know.

Michael Kane
            Mkane@clearcoursehcm.com

February 22, 2023 at 10:39
          • Anonymous

I hate to tell you this – but your vacation accrual is working correctly. It will correct itself by the time you go on vacation. All Accruals are setup so show how much is outstanding at the current time.

April 27, 2023 at 11:45
              • Anonymous

Thanks, Susan! Yes, I know it’s correct. All I’m saying is that some systems take into account what you accrue on regular basis to project your accrued balance at any point in time. Dayforce does not, and it’s been a struggle for our managers not knowing if their reports will have enough vacation when they approve far in advance. On the other hand, giving everyone their allotment for the entire year on day 1 of the year poses risk of overtaking and that doesn’t work for us that well either. Thanks for reading the thread!

May 2, 2023 at 13:36
              • Anonymous

Hi Ewa,
                  We use Dayforce and have it set up to grant the employees their vacation entitlement in hours at the beginning of the year, based on the entitlement rules set up in Dayforce entitlements. Example, grant 80 hours (2 weeks) for those employed between 1 to 5 years at January 1. We have no issues with going in negative. However, with hourly employees, we also have vacation dollar accrual set up (it is a memo, system doesn’t deduct what is paid, Ceridian couldn’t get that figured out when we implemented) and this is where it gets difficult. If an employee takes all their time, then leaves the company, could be in a negative dollar accrual. Also, I have to manually calculate the vacation dollar amount owing when employee leaves the company (Vacation accrual less vacation paid).

May 4, 2023 at 15:04
                • Anonymous

I just read that Dayforce is looking into future accruals, I’m hoping this will happen and I like when employees book vacation in advance.

June 13, 2023 at 14:01